I am taking part in the Second Annual Flats and Handwashing Challenge hosted by Dirty Diaper Laundry. For 7 days I will be using only flat cloth diapers and handwashing them in an effort to prove that cloth diapering can be affordable and accessible to all. You can learn more about the rules and why this challenge was started by visiting the announcement post. This year there are over 450 participants from all over the world!
So here are the basic rules:
The following diapering items can be used:
• Any ﬂat cloth diaper, store bought or handmade. A ﬂat should be only 1 layer of material for
easier handwashing and faster drying.
• 1 night time diaper per night of your choice although you are asked to make ﬂats work for you.
• A diaper sprayer.
• Wet bags/diaper pails for storage.
• Handmade “washing machine” for diapers such as the camp style washer.
• Non Electronic Portable washing machines (must be powered by You and cost less than
• Commercially available or handmade covers.
• Commercially available or handmade detergents.
• Snappi, Boingo, and Pins for closure.
• Pocket diapers STUFFED WITH FLATS.
Materials Not Allowed
• Electronic washer/dryer.
• Pockets with inserts other than ﬂats, AIO’s, Fitteds, Contours, Prefolds, AI2’s, etc.
Rules for Everyone
• You cannot use your washer or dryer.
• If for some reason something arises and an exception is made you need to disclose in the
Conclusions Survey or on your blog if you are a blogger.
You can sign up for the challenge by visiting this link.
Want to see us doing the challenge every day? Here are our daily vlogs so far: